Vegan Fruit Cake
That is actually a Cranberry Pecan Sheet Cake.
I never had fruit cake.. But I imagine this is a better, more natural, tasting version. Probably not because fruit cake looks.. more candy like but my point is, this cake is amazing.. And I am not a cake person. Worth a try!
This cake came out much more dense than the one form the recipe and I think it is because of the coconut milk.. But it tastes lovely. There is one small slice left.. And I made it on Wednesday night.
Oh one more thing, I could eat this frosting plain. Even my non-vegan friends liked it.. and frosting was never really my thing (to eat and make alike)
So here it is..
3/4 cup Earth Balance Butter
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1/2cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 1/4cup Coconut Milk*
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
2 1/2 cup All Purpose Flower
1 Tbs White Vinegar
2 cups Halved/Chopped Cranberries
4/3 cup Chopped Pecans
1 Tbs + 1 tsp Lemon Zest*
1/4 tsp Ginger*
2 cups Confection Sugar
1/3 cup Vegan Cream Cheese (I used Tofutti’s Better Than CC)
1/3 cup Earth Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
* I used these ingredients because I knew that if I used almond milk, I would not have enough for my morning coffee.. and what’s cake with no coffee, right?
and secondly,I was out of oranges.. but I think the lemon/ginger worked out pretty well
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. In a bowl, mix FLOUR, BAKING SODA and POWDER, and SALT. In a small bowl, perhaps a glass, mix the GINGER and ZEST
3. Cream together the BUTTER and SUGAR.
4. Add the BUTTER mix to the FLOUR. It will look like bread dough at this point
5. Add the MILK, APPLESAUCE, and VANILLA. Combine WELL!
6. Now, add the vinegar and fold in the CRANBERRIES and PECANS then the ZEST/GINGER
7. This makes a very large cake. I put it in a super deep dish and it took like over an hour to cook (1.5h because i lowered it to 300 after 45min). So please check on your cake after 30minutes at least and every 15min or so!
For the frosting, just mix everything together & cream.
who got it from Midwest Living Magazine